The facilities at Oak Crest Institute of Science are housed in a building of approximately 7,000 ft2, and are arranged in an open-planning laboratory design. The following infrastructure is available to researchers.
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosol Research Laboratory.The atmospheric chemistry and aerosol research facility houses equipment and instrumentation for the generation and measurement of gas-phase and aerosol standards in the laboratory, and for the collection and analysis of environmental gas and aerosol samples in the field.
- Chromatography. Oak Crest’s chromatography laboratory provides a wide array of liquid and gas chromatographic techniques including HPLC and HPLC-MS, ion chromatography, and GC and GC-MS.
- Electrochemistry. Electrochemical measurements including cyclic and linear-sweep voltammetry are carried out using both digital and analog potentiostats. Modular instrumentation and software written in-house allows for both routine use of standard electrochemical techniques and the rapid development of new methods.
- Laser Spectroscopy and Imaging Laboratory. The laser spectroscopy laboratory provides facilities for laser-based ground and excited-state spectroscopic techniques, and the imaging laboratory provides a range of fluorescence and traditional light microscopes and equipment for preparation of imaging samples.
- Instrumentation Development Facility. Oak Crest’s instrumentation facility allows development of novel instruments for laboratory and field-based spectroscopic measurements, medical devices, and other custom laboratory equipment and instrumentation. The facility includes an electronics design and assembly laboratory and a fully-equipped machine shop for mechanical fabrication.
- Molecular and Microbiology Laboratories. The molecular and microbiology laboratories are housed in a dedicated 550 ft2 combined facility. The molecular biology laboratory includes equipment and instrumentation for DNA and RNA isolation and purification, real-time RT-PCR and traditional PCR, multiplexed immunoassay (Luminex) instrumentation, and a fully-equipped cell-culture facility. The microbiology laboratory provides facilities for microbiological sample preparation, growth and isolation, as well for characterization by fluorescence microscopy and molecular biological techniques.
- Spectroscopy. A broad array of spectroscopic techniques are available at Oak Crest, including UV-visible and infrared absorption spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and multi-nuclear NMR spectroscopy.
- Wet and Synthetic Chemistry Laboratories. Facilities for synthetic chemistry are located in a 1700 ft2 wet-lab space that is fully-equipped for carrying out traditional bench-top chemical synthesis, vacuum-line and glove-box based inert atmosphere chemistry, and gas-phase chemical reactions.
- Drug Delivery R&D Facility. The biomedical laboratory is housed in a dedicated 900 ft2 laboratory, a separate pilot-scale manufacturing space (2000 ft2), and a 100 ft2 hard-wall class 10,000 clean room.